Active Advocate of the Year Award
The American Academy of Audiology State Network Subcommittee has established the Active Advocate of the Year Award to recognize annually outstanding member(s) who have demonstrated leadership in advancing the public policy goals for the audiology profession. If you know someone who should be recognized for his or her efforts, please take the time to submit a nomination to the State Network Subcommittee for review.
All nominations must be received by February 14.
The Active Advocate of the Year Award will be presented at the State Leader Workshop held annually preceding AudiologyNOW!®.
Active Advocate of the Year Award Recipients:
2006: Debra Abel, AuD
2007: Brian Fligor, ScD
2008: Helena Solodar, AuD
2009: Kadyn Williams, AuD
Jody Winzelberg, AuD
2010: Annette A. Burton AuD
Josephine Helmbrecht AuD
2011: Erin Miller, AuD
Sherman Lord, AuD
2012: Rupa Balachandran, PhD
Eligible nominees are Academy members who have exhibited extraordinary efforts to promote the autonomy of the profession or to advance other initiatives impacting hearing health care policy issues pertinent to audiologists. Members of the State Network Subcommittee are not eligible for nomination during their tenure on the committee.
The following award criteria should be considered when nominating an individual:
• Leadership and advocacy on a specific initiative within the past year that significantly contributed to advancing audiology at the national and/or state level.
• Leadership and advocacy in a series of activities over the course of several years that has significantly contributed to advancing audiology at the national and/or state level.
• Leadership qualities should include but are not limited to: planning, motivating others, and implementing strategies.
• Nominees must be members of the Academy.
Nominations for the Active Advocate of the Year Award(s) will be submitted using the attached form and must include the following minimum information:
• A brief biographical sketch of the individual being nominated for the award
• A detailed description of the person’s contribution and how the individual has met the criteria for consideration of this award as described above.
• Email Nomination information to: Kate Thomas
• Call for nominations will be made by October 31. Nominations will be submitted by December 31. Selection(s) will be made by January 31.
• Nominations for the Active Advocate of the Year Award(s)can be submitted by anyone.
• Approval. The State Network Subcommittee, a liaison from the Awards and Honors Committee, and the Government Relations Committee Chair will review all nominations and select the award winners. Academy Board of Directors will be advised of awardees selection prior to public announcement.